Sunday, February 27, 2011

Interview with Empress Wu Zetian

Why did you step down from the throne after so many years of ruling?

Empress- I must admit, I am getting old. But I was planning on ruling until my death. Those plans changed when my third son recently forced me to give up the throne for him. I wasn't pleased with his actions. I ruled for so many years, so this is a big change for me.
  
Was it challenging at first during the beginning of your reign?

Empress- It wasn't too challenging. I was making all the decisions at the end of the late Emperor Gaozong's reign, and that helped me gain experience. I am a tough women and I think even though there were times that I had to make drastic and at times unfair decisions, I made the right decisions.

What exactly went on when Empress Wang supposedly choked your baby girl to death?

Empress- There has been talk that I killed my own daughter to frame Empress Wang because she was a threat to me. To clear up the confusion, yes, I killed my daughter to frame Wang. I went into my daughters room, choked my baby girl to death, then carefully covered her. Empress Wang enjoyed visiting with my daughter and I knew she was going to be stopping by that day to visit her so before she came over, I went into my daughter's room. I choked her to death and carefully covered her. When Wang discovered her I made sure that no one else was around so that there could not have been anyone else who could have done this. They court sentenced Empress Wang to death. She was a threat to me, so I took care of it. If I do not like something, I am not afraid to take action and fix it.

What influences your decision making? Do you find it challenging to make decisions?

Empress- I have made some huge decisions in my lifetime. I made big decisions during Emperor Gaozong's reign, and I have made bigger decisions during my reign. Killing my daughter wasn't the best decision but I had to do what I had to do. Another was exiling my son. If something is in my way and I think it could be a threat, I take care of it. If you do not believe me, Empress Wang is proof. I do not like things (or people) that are in my way. 

 How successful do you think your reign was? 

I think it was very successful. During my reign, Buddhism developed a lot because it is said that I am the reincarnation of Buddhisattva Maitreya, a Buddhist savior. So far I am the only women ever to rule as Emperor. Also on my long list of achievements is my establishment the Zhou Dyansty. I didn't fool around during my reign. I wanted only the best to run the government, and I believe that I treated them fairly, and with respect. I made our Army smaller and allowed scholars to be in it as well. I treated everyone fairly and everyone had a chance to run the government because I created exams for them to take, instead of picking people. I believed that you have to prove yourself worthy of the spot.

1 comment: